Friday, June 20, 2014

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie

If you are a coconut lover like myself, then you are going to love this recipe I have for you!
Old fashioned Coconut Cream Pie:



Ingredients:
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3 cups of half and half
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1- 9 inch pie shell baked (I usually use the frozen pre-made pie shells from Trader Joes or Pilsbury, and just follow the instructions for baking on the package)
1 cup of whipped cream
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake, stir occasionally, until golden brown, approx 4 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and stir it well. Bring mixture to a boil over low heat, stir constantly! Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract.
Set aside the remaining coconut to top the pie.
Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with the reserved toasted coconut.
* Here’s a little tip- I like to make my own whipped cream. You can do this by taking about 3 cups of heavy whipping cream, add about 2 tbsp of powdered sugar, and blend until firm(I use my magic bullet to blend and it turns out perfect every time). It is SO extremely easy to make your own homemade whipped cream and it makes a world of difference. Although, if you don’t have the time or don’t want the fuss, feel free to use canned whipped cream or cool whip to top the pie. It’ll be yummy either way!
This would be such a great dessert to make for a summertime bbq. I might just make it for the 4th of July holiday coming up in less then a month.
I made this pie last week to bring to our small group. My pastor went nuts for this pie and said it was possibly his favorite dessert I’ve made yet- and trust me, I’ve made many many desserts! He loved it so much, I left him with a few slices of it before we left. Well, found out the next day that his kids had gotten to the pie before he had a chance to get to it and it was long gone, so he asked me for the recipe– well, here ya go Steve! Now you can make this pie anytime you’d like!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment