Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Essential Oil Infused Cake Pops

Essential Oil Infused Cake Pops

If you know me, then you know that I absolutely love my doTerra essential oils.
I’ve been using them for about a year now, slowly replacing many of my over the counter meds and other household products in exchange for these natural, pure and safe essential oils.
You guys probably never would have guessed that I just love desserts, and could pretty much live off them for the rest of my life like a day, maybe… haha. Well, leave it to me to create an essential oil infused dessert! I don’t just use my oils for medicinal and household use, no I love to bake with these oils and let me tell ya, I  created a very unique sweet treat!
I love that these oils are so pure that you can cook and bake with them. I had so much fun with these cake pops!

I chose 2 of my favorite oils: peppermint and wild orange.


For the peppermint cake pops I made a chocolate cake, and added 1 drop of oil- I repeat ONE drop of peppermint oil to the cake batter. The oils are SO extremely potent that all you need is a drop!
So bake the cake, remove from the oven. Let it cool. Then crumble it all up! Mix cake crumbs with approx 1 1/2 cups of frosting until the consistency looks almost dough-like. Then roll into cake balls approx 1 inch in size. Place cake balls on a wax lined cookie sheet, and pop them into the freezer for at least half an hour. Freezing the cake balls will allow them to be much much easier to work with when it comes time to dip!
To dip, I used Wilton Candy Melts-

You can find these at most craft stores in the cake decorating section, in a variety of colors. I used the green and orange colored candy melts. Melt  according to the package directions.
Take your cake pop stick (these are also found in the same section), dip just the tip into the melted candy melts, and stick it into your cooled cake balls. This will act as a “glue” so the sticks won’t fall out. Let them harden for a few minutes. Now dip your cake balls into the candy melts.
I garnished them with some pretty purple sugar, and wrapped them up.
For the wild orange cake balls, I went about it a little differently:
Make your regular cake batter this time and don’t add any essential oil yet. Bake your cake, cool, crumble, add frosting, roll into balls, freeze… you get it- exactly the same way I made the peppermint cake balls. Now melt your candy melts, and this time add 1 drop of the wild orange essential oil to the melted candy melts. This will make the candy melts taste like an orange creamsicle, yumm!
Both flavors of cake pops turned out great, but I found that the orange infused ones had more flavor. I think this is due to the oil being placed into the melted candy melts rather then the cake batter. It gives it a more intense flavor!

I brought these cake pops to an “Intro to essential oils” class taught by my friend Jen Broas (also known as Crash Test Mommy, here on OC Family) The class was hosted by Suz Broughton- Alive In Wonderland, and I think they were a hit!
I love this photo Suz took of Jen and I with the cake pops. Such a fun night!

I’d love to hear from you if you try making some of your own cake pops with essential oils, if you use essential oils… I’d just love to hear from you! Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment