Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Red Onions, Feta and Honey


Sweet potatoes have to be one of my favorite things in the world. I love that they can be so sweet. Almost dessert-like sweet if you add enough brown sugar and cinnamon. But I also love that they can be savory. Today I played around with some sweet potatoes and made a savory, yet slightly sweet side dish that’s just perfect for the upcoming holidays or just an easy weeknight dinner.
I prepped all my veggies using some pretty fantastic ceramic knives fromVelata. Velata’s knives are made of an innovative ceramic material that is harder than steel (and second only to diamond), which allows the blades to be sharpened to a fine point, making them sharper – and stay sharper longer – then steel knives.
Unlike metal, ceramic doesn’t rust, and it’s impervious to acids, oils, and salts. Ceramic also won’t discolor or leave behind a metallic odor or taste on foods.
These knives are super lightweight, which makes chopping and dicing more fun if you ask me!
Now for this yummy harvest inspired recipe:
You’ll need 5-6 small sweet potatoes-washed and peeled
1 small red onion
approx 1/3 cup feta
2 tbsp olive oil
approx 2 tbsp honey
1 tsp of coriander herb rub from Velata

Here’s all my washed and peeled sweet potatoes ready to be chopped.


Chop into small chunks like so.

Place sweet potato chunks into a 8 x 8 glass baking dish.

Now dice your red onion into pretty small pieces.


Throw your onion and feta into the glass baking dish along with the sweet potatoes. Add the coriander herb seasoning as well as your olive oil. Stir to coat. Drizzle approx 2 tbsp. of honey over mixture. Now pop this dish into the oven heated at 400 degrees. Bake for approx 1 hour, and sit back and enjoy the amazing aroma of the coriander herb seasoning mixed with the yummy veggies.

ABSOLUTELY DELISH!!!
This side dish without a doubt will be added to my Thanksgiving menu this year. It’s pretty amazing!
(And a little tip: If you are feeling a little ‘sweet’ you can always drizzle a  little more honey over your baked sweet potatoes)
This dish was so fun to make, and I completely enjoyed all the prep work (no joke) due to these wonderful knives (and maybe the fact that my kids were in school while I prepped, and I had the house to myself in peace and quiet) But I really do love the knives. A lot. They are lightweight, sharp and get the job done right. If you guys are in the market for purchasing a new set of knives or need a great wedding/Christmas gift check out Velata’s! I might just be adding these knives to my Christmas wish list this year :)

By the way- Velata also carries a line of yummy rubs, perfect for baking, BBQ and beyond, as well as cheese fondue and oh so decadent chocolate fondue (I know this first hand, because I own one of their fantastic fondue warmers and love using their premium chocolate in it!)
Contact Lisa Matro for info on purchasing Velata knives/products:
Call/Text: (949) 292-6572
www.paaawz.velata.us
lmatro21@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment