Wednesday, January 29, 2014

AAUSS- Adopt A US Soldier

Have you heard of the show “Army Wives”? I’ve become completely obsessed with it. Like I could sit down and watch an entire season in a day obsessed.
We recently signed up for an Amazon Prime account (which is awesome by the way, free 2 day shipping- yes please!)
Amazon Prime offers something called instant video, which is similar to Netflix. In adding movies and TV shows to our list, my husband added Army Wives for me. Well, just one show in and that was all it took for me. I fell in love. The characters, the story line, all of it!
I’ve always had so much appreciation and respect for the soldiers serving in our military, but  this tv show, whether being realistic or not, has taken my appreciation to another level.
A few weeks after we started watching this show I got an e-mail forwarded from my husband Brandon-

FW: Your Soldier Information from AAUSS ( Adopt A US Soldier )‏

He signed us up for an “Adopt a Soldier” program. This program allows you to connect with US soldiers who are deployed over seas. You have the opportunity to have your very own soldier, to connect with them, write to them, send them care packages. How awesome is that?! I had no idea this even existed!
We’ve already connected with our soldier, who by the way is a female. Very nice surprise! We’ve been sending e-mails back and forth, and I’m in the process of putting together a fun care package for her filled with lipglosses, lotions, some store bought treats, and of course some homemade goodies!

I decided to bake some of my homemade snickerdoodles to send to her. You can find the recipe here. I figured they’d will ship well, and I won’t have any concerns with them melting.  And really, who doesn’t love a snickerdoodle? I’m including a cute Valentine card for her as well as some drawings from the kids.
I really hope she likes it! We had so much fun putting this package together for her. The kids have been  loving helping me write e-mails to her.
I want to leave you with a  little info on this great program, I hope this blog inspires you sign up to adopt a soldier. It can be as involved as sending care packages and daily e-mails, or you can do as little as sending an e-mail once or twice a week. All that matters is they know that someone out there cares about them, and it means a lot , I’m sure of it!
http://adoptaussoldier.org/
Sign up here:
http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/index.php/site/adopt

No comments:

Post a Comment