Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sunshine and Summertime

It’s not even mid July and our summer has been craziness!
So far, we’ve have attended a 30th birthday party, a 40th birthday party, threw my Charlie an 8th birthday party, attended a good friends wedding, camping trip to Yosemite and my sister got married. PHEWW!!
I’m glad we are past all that, it was all so much fun and so crazy. All those events took place over a 3 week span. Too much to do in too little of time!
Our summer should be calming down now, other then a few camping trips down to our favorite local campground O’Neill Park, and a trip to Big Bear in August.
Here’s a few photos from our summer so far-

The love and I at our friend Jody’s wedding in Camarillo

YOSEMITE!!!

Yosemite is absolutely stunning. When you enter the valley and see El Capitan on your left and Half Dome out in the distance, it’s just breathtaking.


We hiked up to the beautiful Vernal Falls. It was one of the most intense hikes I’ve been on, but oh so worth it!

My little sister got married this past Saturday

At this amazing place

I was the Matron of Honor!
I want to share with you a wonderful fruity summertime dessert I made for the 4th of July.
This recipe is inspired by a dessert that my sister in law often makes, it includes strawberries and Oreos. YUM!

Whipped Strawberry Sensation:
Here’s what you need:
4 cups  fresh strawberries, divided
1 can  (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup  lemon juice
1 tub  (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
8  OREO Cookies, finely chopped
1 Tbsp.  butter, melted
Here’s what you do:
Line 9×5-inch loaf pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Mash 2 cups berries in large bowl. Add milk, juice and 2 cups COOL WHIP; mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
 Mix chopped cookies and butter; spoon over COOL WHIP mixture. Cover with ends of foil; gently press cookie mixture into COOL WHIP mixture. Freeze 6 hours or until firm.
Invert dessert onto plate when ready to serve; remove pan and foil. Frost dessert with remaining COOL WHIP. Slice remaining berries; arrange over dessert.

I thought this dessert was perfect for 4th of July, because it had the right colors,  red for the strawberries, white for the cool whip, and blue for the blueberries which I added for garnish.
Also, the dessert is frozen, so it’s perfect for those hot summer days!

My friend Casey made this:

How cute is this fruit flag?!!
I also made these for a super cute decoration:

Glittered Mason Jars.
You need mason jars, glitter and spray adhesive. Spray the outside of the jar, roll in glitter, place a tea light inside. It’s that simple! But I have to warn you, these jars are messy!

Hope you are having a wonderful summer so far. Has your summer been as busy as mine? What kind of activities and trips do you have planned?

No comments:

Post a Comment