Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Anza Borrego Camping Trip & S’Mores Burritos

My little family and I took a Spring break camping trip down to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

It was a great trip, despite the 100 mile an hour winds little wind gusts, and 90 degree weather, oh and did I mention scorpions? Yes, SCORPIONS!

I almost stepped on this little guy, thank goodness for flashlights!
My fam and I hiked to a palm oasis-

How cool is that? A palm Oasis, so lush and beautiful right in the middle of this hot, dry desert. I was just in AWE of this. It reminded me of a song I love that we sing at my church “All My Fountains” by Chris Tomlin..
“This dry and desert land
I tell myself, “Keep walking on”
Hear something up ahead
Water falling like a song
An everlasting stream
Your river carries me home
Let it flow, let if flow”
If you haven’t heard this song, go search for it. LOVE it!

ABSOLUTELY stunning!

It amazes me that animals can survive in the desert. Seeing all these creatures, including the lizard above, beautiful birds, jackrabbits and coyotes (didn’t see these, but definitely heard them) reminded me of the verse: Matthew 6:25-27-
 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?”
These animals are taken care of, surely we are too!




We also hiked to the Native American pictographs-


And we saw very random, yet very beautiful metal art sculptures in the middle of the desert-


AND, our pastor allowed us to borrow this-

This made our camping trip much nicer, then tent camping, especially with those strong wind storms. Thanks Steve and Cathi!
There were beautiful desert blooms-


Here is a fun campfire recipe for peanut butter s’mores burritos, a twist on the classic s’more:

This is all you need- marshmallows, peanut butter, chocolate and tortillas
*start with a tortilla, spread some peanut butter on it:

*add some chocolate (chocolate chips work too!):

*add marshmallows:

*wrap it up in foil and cook it by the campfire until its all melted (approx 10-15 minutes)


So get out there friends! Get in nature, get camping, get hiking and most importantly spend some quality time with your family. The kids just loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment