Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lemon Bars

I’ve always wanted to try making homemade lemon bars. Especially because I have a lemon/lime tree in my backyard. In the summer we have limes, and a few months later we have lemons- hundreds of them. Weird right? I’ll take it though!
Here is the recipe from Betty Crocker that I tried:
Ingredients:
1 cup all- purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice (about the juice of 2 lemons. I would have liked the bars to be a bit more lemony so next time I make these, I will use about 4 lemons)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
powdered sugar
Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees, mix flour, butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Press in ungreased 8 by 8 square pan. Bake the crust for about 20 minutes; remove from oven.
Beat remaining ingredients, except powdered sugar. Pour over hot crust.
Bake 25-30 minutes, or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar.

On a totally unrelated note, my family and I have fallen in love with hiking. Especially our local trails here in Orange County. We’ve been loving camping and hiking at O’Neill Regional Park. A few weekends ago we hiked up Vista Point Trail. It was a bit intense at times, especially for my kids, but we all made it, and I was SO proud of them!

Here we are at the top. It was stunning. On a clear day you can see as far as Catalina and Fashion Island, then you turn around and you have a beautiful view of Saddleback mountain.
On our way back to our car we saw this:

How sweet is that! Mule deer.
We were so excited about seeing this deer that we told a ranger passing by and he said that there are many of them that come out around 5:30 pm everyday!
I can’t wait to hike this trail again!

No comments:

Post a Comment