Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Back To School

I can’t believe summer is over. It went by super fast, huh? This year my son Charlie will start 2nd grade and my daughter Ciera will start pre-school. WOW!

I’ve been seeing so many great ideas for healthy school lunches, tips and tricks on parenting websites, pinterest, and from other OC Family bloggers. My friend, Tara has a great blog: http://always-underfoot.blogspot.com. Not only does she have super cute ideas and blog posts, she is also a great crafter and invitation maker. She gave me a great idea for my kid’s lunches this year.

I was reading her blog and seeing all her cute instagram photos of her son’s Bento Box lunches and I thought, I need to do this for my kids. So, Charlie and I went out to Target, and I had him pick out his own Bento style box:

He is super excited about having fruits and veggies all cut up in his lunch box with a sandwich, chicken, etc. in the same box!
I love the idea. Not only is he going to be eating healthy snacks at school out of a cute box that he picked out and loves, but it is going to save me from buying so many of those plastic ziplock bags!

Here is a photo of Charlie’s 1st day of school bento box lunch:


Here is Charlie:



I also wanted to share an easy breakfast idea that my kids go absolutely crazy for, “No Bake Energy Bites”

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups (dry) oats
  • 2/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or dried cranberries or pepitas (its up to you!)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Ciera loves to help out in the kitchen! This is a perfect little treat for the kids to help out with.

*Mix all the ingredients together and roll into 1 inch balls, place balls into an airtight container, and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Here they are!

Good luck this school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment