Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What I've been up to lately...

What I’ve been up to lately…

I’ve been a busy little bee lately.
First off, I’ve started weight watchers. I’m down 6 pounds since the beginning of January. It’s been pretty easy for me to follow the points plus program this time around. Of course I do have my hard days- especially when I’m baking. But I’ve learned I can enjoy my sweet goodies, as long as I keep it in moderation. Moderation is KEY, for sure!
A few weeks ago my family and I started hiking again. Oh how I love hiking!
We went to the “Ghost Rock” in Laguna Beach-


Then the very next day my husband and I went hiking to “The Dripping Cave” in Aliso Woods-


In two days we hiked over 12 miles. I loved it- although my foot did not! On our Dripping Cave hike, I must have rolled my ankle, although I don’t remember injuring it at the time. It took me a good week and a half  to recover, I could barely put weight on it. But the good news is I’m all better now, and ready to start hiking again!


How beautiful is this! It’s amazing how some of our local OC hikes can make you feel like your in a whole different world.
Other then hiking, I’ve also been going a little crazy with my crafting. I decided to take apart my dark brown and beige burlap wreath, and add some new colors and design accents to it to match the inside of my home-

I used two different colors of burlap, a beige and green. I love the two tone. I also tied a cute bow, hot glued it onto the wreath, and then picked up a black wooden N at Joann’s and glued it onto the bow. I embellished the wreath with these adorable burlap flowers, and placed a pearl in the center-

Aren’t they cute!?!
Here is the burlap wreath tutorial I used- click here. I love this girl! She’s adorable, and explains the wreath instructions in such a simple way.
If you are interested in learning how to make the sweet flowers, click here.
I also made a cute little “gift in a jar” as a get well gift for our pastor’s wife, Cathi, who has recently had knee surgery-

This craft pretty much explains itself! Find a mason jar, and have fun filling it up with goodies!
In Cathi’s jar I included some organic shower gel and lotion, 2 See’s Candies lollipops, a bag of mini snickers, 2 tea bags, and a EOS lipgloss. She loved it!
Of course I’ve also been baking- a lot! I made these yummy red velvet cupcakes for a BBQ we went to over the weekend (please excuse my kitchen in the background!)-

You can find my recipe here.
I also made these brownies. Let me tell you, I’m obsessed! A homemade chocolaty fudge brownie, that has a very fudge-like texture with a decadent chocolate honey buttercream icing. It’s heaven! I made these for Cathi after her surgery, and I also made them for a sweet friend who has just had her third child- a sweet little baby boy!

The recipe is pretty darn easy, and so worth giving it a try. I hope you enjoy it!
Here’s what you need for the brownies:
  • 1 Cup butter
  • 2 Cups sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2/3 Cup cocoa powder
  • 1 Cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions-
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 by 13 baking pan.
  2. In a mixer, add softened butter. Add the sugar and beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
  3. Mix in cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add flour and stir until combined. Pour into your prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake  approx 25-30 minutes. Let the brownies cool completely.
Here’s what you need to make the delicious frosting-
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3 Tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used Midnight Moo from Trader Joes)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
Directions-
Beat the butter, chocolate syrup, honey and vanilla until blended. Add powdered sugar and beat to desired consistency and pour over the cooled brownies.

I garnished these brownies with chocolate sprinkles, and for the second batch of brownies I made, I topped them with dark chocolate chips. Have fun with it!


I’d love to know if you try out this recipe. Shoot me an e-mail. I’d love to hear from you. Happy Friday and happy baking friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment