Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Lemon Cake Balls


The other day I went to bake a bundt type cake. When I went to get the cake out of the pan, the whole thing fell apart. Destroyed! I didn’t know what to do with it. I didn’t want to throw it away, there was nothing wrong with the cake, except for that it didn’t actually look like a cake. So instead I put the destroyed cake into a gallon ziplock, threw it into the freezer for about 2 weeks, until I was ready to do something with it!

About a year ago I tried making “cake pops”. They are always so yummy and moist, and coated in chocolate, YUM! So I thought, I could totally make cake pops {sans the pops} out of this destroyed cake of mine. So I did! I brought them to a Church event, they were a huge hit and they turned out great!

Here’s what you do:

*Bake a cake (any flavor) mine happened to be lemon.

*Once the cake is done baking, and cooled throw it into a food processor (I used my hand blender). Blend the cake into crumbs.



*Take any frosting (canned is fine), I made a lemon buttercream. Take about a cup of the frosting, and mix it into the ground up cake crumbs.

*Roll up the frosting/cake crumb mixture into about 1 inch balls (kinda like cookie dough). Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.

*Freeze the cake balls (I’d say a minimum of 30 minutes). The longer you freeze the better, it makes the cake balls easier to work with.

*Take the cake balls out of the freezer, and dip them one at a time into melted chocolate. I used white candy melts by Wilton. I find that candy melts are super easy to melt/work with. They come in all different colors and even chocolate flavor if you’d prefer. You can find candy melts at JoAnn’s, Michaels or www.wilton.com. Melted chocolate chips will work fine as well.
*Once the cake balls are all dipped, you can top them with colorful sprinkles. I used some fun summer colors.

Here is Ciera with the finished cake balls. She loved helping make these!
*Place the cake balls back into the freezer to harden.

There you go, these are super yummy, and always a fun treat for all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment